Dentistry » Orthodontics / Teeth Straightening
Our Orthodontics Procedures Pathway
Booking The Consultation
- Cosmetic consultation with Dr Suri
- This consultation would suit you if you are unsure of the treatment options available to you.
- Braces will be discussed in this appointment, if suitable or if they would aid restorative treatment such as veneers. If you wish to find out more about the treatment or in fact go ahead with treatment an assessment would then be booked with Dr Steffen Decker, our specialist orthodontist.
- Orthodontic assessment with Dr Steffen Decker
The Orthodontic Assessment
- This appointment will take place with Dr Steffen Decker and Dr Suri may also be present if you came to see one of them prior to your assessment.
- Dr Decker will discuss your aesthetic concerns with you and find out what your goals are for improvement of your smile.
- We will take photos and an x-ray of your teeth and view them together so that we can discuss your concerns whilst showing you how we can improve things.
- Different types of braces will be discussed so that you can decide which treatment is most suited to you.
- We will provide you with information and show you examples of the different types of braces so that you can make an informed decision.
- You will be given estimates for treatment and the financial options will be discussed.
- Once you have made the decision to have treatment we will book you in for the treatment to be started.
- An impression or scan will be taken of your mouth and sent to Germany
- Once it has been received Dr Decker can digitally plan all of the movements required to achieve the desired result.
- The brackets are 3D printed and the wires are pre- bent according to the movements necessary.
- Once they arrive back in the UK they are fit on the back of the teeth and the treatment begins.
- You would be required to attend for appointments every 4- 6 weeks.
- Impressions are taken for the movements to be planned and the Clincheck (video) to be prepared. This is a computerized view of the movements that are required to improve the alignment of your teeth.
- The Clincheck is viewed by Dr Decker & Dr Suri and refinements are made, if necessary. Once we are happy with the final result you are also given an opportunity to view it and when all parties are satisfied we accept the Clincheck.
- After acceptance of the case, the Invisalign aligners take approximately three weeks to arrive.
- An appointment is booked to fit your aligners and the treatment starts.
- Review appointments are booked every six to eight weeks so that progress can be monitored and adjustments can be made if necessary.
- Fixed Braces
- Any preliminary work necessary for the brace treatment is carried out such as mild reshaping of teeth, application of small white fillings.
- Ceramic brackets are bonded to the teeth with white filling material and the white wire is placed.
- Review appointments are booked every six to eight weeks so that progress can be checked and wires can be changed.
Completion Of Treatment
- Once we feel that that we have achieved the best result that we can, the braces are removed or the aligners come to an end.
- In all cases at the end of treatment night time and permanent retainers are provided so that the teeth stay in the position that we have moved them into and the bone can mature around the roots.
The Three Month Review
- We review the situation three months later once things have settled to ensure that the treatment goals have been achieved.
- If we feel that even further improvement can be gained, in either a function or aesthetic capacity we will suggest a period of refinement. This means that braces may have to be worn again for a short period of time.
- Post orthodontic refinement is not offered by many practices although it may be necessary. We feel that if we are to achieve the best result possible then it is the right thing to do.
- The offer of refinement can be declined and will not impact heavily on the success of the treatment but for those of you that are looking for the highest level of function and aesthetics we offer this service at no cost.
- If other treatment is needed to create the desired result as discussed at the initial consultation we then start phase two of the improvement.