13th February 2009
There are many techniques for brushing your teeth, but the main considerations for cleaning teeth effectively are discussed below:
Back to Blog
- Firstly it takes time to clean the teeth, whatever type of toothbrush or method you use, you should spend a minimum of two minutes cleaning the teeth twice a day.
- Secondly, the toothbrush you use, is largely down to personal choice, powered toothbrushes are very effective, a manual toothbrush should have medium or softer filaments, and you should choose a brush with a relatively small head, this will allow you access to cleaning the very back teeth. The important thing to remember, is that toothbrushes should be replaced regularly, every six to eight weeks is often recommended.
- Thirdly, the technique to effective toothbrush cleaning. Start by placing the toothbrush filaments against the tooth, where the tooth meets the gum. Have the filaments at a 40- 45 degree angle to the tooth. The toothbrush will be covering 2 or 3 teeth. Start to use a small circular action without dragging the toothbrush over more than 2 or 3 teeth at a time, after 5 seconds move the toothbrush to the next 2-3 teeth and repeat the process. This method of tooth brushing is often referred to as the mini scrub technique, and will help to keep the gums healthy as well as the teeth clean, When you have cleaned the outside and inside surfaces of the teeth, you can then proceed to move the brush along the top biting surfaces of the teeth.
- You also need to bear in mind that tooth brushing alone does not guarantee thorough cleaning. Tooth brushing should be followed by flossing in between the teeth.
- I would recommend that if you are unsure as to how effective your tooth brushing is, you should seek more specific advice from your Dentist or Hygienist.